This pasta dish is based on a traditional recipe enjoyed in Liguria, Italy. To toast pine nuts, place in small, dry pan on medium heat and cook, shaking pan, until golden, 1 1⁄2 minutes. An arugula salad will make a nice accompaniment.
• 1 Tbs. olive oil
• 1 medium shallot, chopped
• 1 small onion, chopped
• 10 fresh basil leaves, cut into thin strips
• Pinch red pepper flakes
• 1⁄2 cup white wine
• 3⁄4 cup low-sodium vegetable broth
• 1⁄3 cup golden raisins
• 8 oz. linguini
• 2 Tbs. pine nuts, toasted (see headnote)
• 1 Tbs. whole grain toasted bread crumbs
• 1 Tbs. Soy Kaas grated Parmesan-style soy cheese
• 1 Tbs. flaxseed oil or olive oil
1. Bring large pot of water to a boil. Meanwhile, in medium saucepan, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add shallot and onion and cook, stirring often, until lightly browned, 2 to 3 minutes. Reduce heat to medium.
2. Add basil, pepper flakes and wine and cook, stirring occasionally, until thickened slightly, 2 to 3 minutes. Add vegetable broth and raisins and simmer until heated through, about 5 minutes.
3. Add 1 tablespoon salt and pasta to boiling water, stirring to prevent sticking. Cook pasta until just tender, about 8 minutes. Drain well.
4. Add pine nuts, bread crumbs and soy cheese to sauce; stir well. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Remove from heat. Stir in flaxseed or olive oil. Add pasta and toss to coat. Serve hot.